What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The value of the cookie is that the web is able to remember your visit when back to navigate to that page. Although many people don’t know it, the cookies have been used since 20 years ago, when appeared the first browsers for the World Wide Web.
What is not a cookie?
It is not a virus or a Trojan, worm, spam or spyware, or open windows pop up.
What information is stored by a cookie?
The cookies do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. Data that are technical, personal preferences, personalization of content, etc.
The server web do not associated to you as person but to your Navigator web. In fact, if you usually browse with Internet Explorer and try to browse the web with Firefox or Chrome you will see that it don´t recognize you because it is actually associating with the browser, not to the person.
What kind of cookies are there?
- Technical cookies: they are the most basic and allow, among other things, know when a human or an automated application is browsing, when a user navigates anonymous and registered one, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
- Cookies of analysis: collect information about the type of navigation that is doing, the sections most used, consulted products, time of use, language, etc.
- Advertising cookies: show advertising depending on your navigation, your country of origin, language, etc.
What are the own cookies and third-party cookies?
Own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and the third parties are those generated by services or third party providers like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc
What happens if I disable cookies?
So you understand the extent to which may have cookies are a few examples:
- You can’t share content of this site on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- Web site can not adapt the content to your personal preferences, as often happens in online stores.
- You can not access the personal area of this website, such as for example my account, or my profile or my orders.
- Online shops: it will be impossible to make purchases online, they will have to be telephoned or visit the physical store in case it exists.
- It is not possible to customize geographic Strip time, currency or language preferences.
- The web site cannot be web analytics about visitors and traffic on the web, making it difficult to be competitive.
- You can write on the blog, not may not upload photos, post comments, rating or rate content. The web will not know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- You can not display zoned advertising, which will reduce the advertising revenue from the website.
Can cookies been deleted?
Yes. Not only delete, also block, in general or specific way for a specific domain.
To remove cookies from a site you must go to your browser settings and there you can find the associated to the domain in question and disposal.
Cookies settings for the most popular browsers
Below we indicate how to access a specific cookie from the Chrome browser. Note: these steps may vary depending on the version of the browser:
- Go to Settings or Preferences by using the file menu either by clicking the customization icon listed above to the right.
- You will see different sections, click the show advanced options./li>
- Go to privacy, content settings.
- Select all cookies and data sites.
- A list will be shown with all the cookies sorted by domain. To make it easier to find a particular domain cookies enter partially or completely the direction in the field Search Cookies.
- After making this filter one or several lines with the requested web cookies will be displayed. Now you just have to select it and press X to proceed to their elimination.
To access the cookies configuration of the Internet Explorer browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to tools, Internet Options.
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the cookies configuration of the Firefox browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Options or Preferences according to your operating system..
- Click on Privacy.
- In History choose use a customized configuration for the history.
- You will now see the option Accept cookies, you can enable or disable it according to your preferences.
To access the cookies configuration of Safari for OSX browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Preferences, then Privacy.
- In this place you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of lock that you want to perform.
To access the cookies configuration of Safari for iOS browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Settings, then Safari.
- Go to Privacy and Security, you will see the option to Block cookies to adjust the lock type that you want to perform.
To access the cookies configuration of Android devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Run the browser and press the Menu key, then Settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the option Accept cookies so that you select or clear the check box.
To access the cookies configuration of Windows Phone devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Open Internet Explorer, then More, then Settings.
- You can now enable or disable the Allow cookies check box.
Advisor of Cookies is a plugin for WordPress created by (webartesanal.com)